Award Winning Care
Thomson Reuters 50 Top Hospital for Cardiovascular Care
The study examined the performance of more than 1,000 hospitals by analyzing outcomes for patients with heart failure and heart attacks and for those who received coronary bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary interventions such as angioplasties.
This is the fourth time DMH has been recognized in the nation by Thomson Reuters for delivering top quality care. Thomson Reuters named DMHa 100 Top Hospital earlier in 2011 and a 100 Top Hospital for Cardiovascular Care in 2007 and 2008. This year’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospital winners were announced Nov. 14 in Modern Healthcare magazine.
The study shows that 97 percent of cardiovascular inpatients in U.S. hospitals survive and approximately 96 percent remain complication-free, reflecting improved cardiovascular care across-the-board over the past year. The 50 top hospitals’ performance surpasses these high-water marks as indicated by:
- Better risk-adjusted survival rates (23 percent fewer deaths than non-winning hospitals for bypass surgery patients).
- Lower complications indices (40 percent lower rate of heart failure complications).
- Fewer patients readmitted to the hospital after 30 days.
- Shorter hospital visits and lower costs. Top hospitals discharge bypass patients nearly a full day sooner and spend $4,200 less per bypass case than non-winners.
- Increased use of internal mammary artery (IMA) for coronary artery bypass surgeries. Top hospitals have increased their use of this recommended procedure from 88 to 96 percent
To learn more visit www.100tophospitals.com
National Certified Primary Stroke Center
In March, the Joint Commission designated its Gold Seal of Approval to Decatur Memorial Hospital's Brain and Stroke Center.
Get with the Guidelines is a program by the American Heart Association, the Centers for Disease Control and The Joint Commission that measures 10 outcomes related to stroke care. DMH out ranks the midwest region hospitals in meeting or exceeding those guidelines.
DMH Provides Award-Winning Quality Healthcare
As recognized by the following organization:
- 2008 Surgical Care Improvement Project Mentor Award from the Illinois Foundation for Quality Health Care
- 2008 Clinical Trial Participation Award presented to DMH Cancer Care Institute and Cancer Care Specialiists of Central Illinois from the American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2007 Top 100 Hospitals for Cardiovascular Care from Thomson Healthcare
- 2007 Strive for Excellence Leadership Award for Treatment of Heart Failure from Voluntary Hospitals of America, Inc.
- 2006 Lincoln Silver Award for Progress Towards Excellence from the Lincoln Foundation for Performance Excellence
- 2003/2004 High Performer for the treatment of heart attacks, heart failure, and pneumonia from Health Services Advisory Group Inc., a Medicare Quality Improvement Organization
- Nationally recognized for high quality diabetes care from the National Committee for Quality Assurance inpartnership with the American Diabetes Association